Through our Community Grants program, the Bainbridge Island Parks Foundation funds projects to improve and enhance parks, trails and recreational opportunities on Bainbridge Island. By supporting community-led initiatives, the Parks Foundation focuses its impact in a way that best reflects community priorities. Grants help to fund capital projects that align with the Parks Foundation mission. Grant applications are made and awarded in the fall.
The Bainbridge Island Parks Foundation exists so that Islanders may work together to improve our parks and trails; our Community Grants are one of our programs that makes this possible.
GOALS OF THE COMMUNITY GRANT PROGRAM:
- To improve Bainbridge Island parks and trails in ways that reflect community priorities.
- To inspire partnerships that provide stewardship for our parks and trails.
- To help define community goals that enhance recreation on Bainbridge Island.
2017 Community Grants were issued for the following:
- Bainbridge Island Beach Volleyball Club – $2,000 to replace the sand in the Fay Bainbridge Park volleyball court, or build a new outdoor court.
- Bainbridge Island Rowing – $3,000 to purchase eight new sets of sculling oars.
- Bainbridge Island Water Polo — $3,000 for new folding floating goals for practice and matches.
- Fort Ward Community Hall – $3,000 to help restore the historic bakery building as a public park facility.
- Park District Outdoor Programs – $3,000 for a new safety vessel for community boating programs.
- Teen Center – $3,000 for new furniture for the youth drop-in space.
Past projects include:
A new vault system for gymnastics program at the Battle Point Park Transmitter Building
New drinking fountains to be installed at the Aquatics Center
An inflatable movie screen for use for the Movies In The Park series
A covered practice facility at the Rotary Park Ballfields
Funds to help to restore the Ford Ward Bakery Building for use as a Community Hall