JOB OPENING – EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
NOTE: The application period is now closed. Thank you for your interest.
Executive Director Job Description
The Bainbridge Island Parks Foundation (BIPF) is an independent nonprofit organization that collaborates with the Bainbridge Island Metropolitan Parks & Recreation District and other community agencies. BIPF’s mission is to enhance community by supporting a thriving system of parks, trails and open space. For more information: www.biparksfoundation.org
BIPF seeks an Executive Director (ED) who can take the organization from being a successful startup to a mature, growing venture with unlimited opportunity. The ED’s fundamental responsibility is to sustain and grow BIPF as the lead Bainbridge Island nonprofit supporting parks and trails. To this end, the ED will carry out a strategic vision for the organization’s growth and execute fundraising plans. The ED implements BIPF’s mission and strategies by deploying a 4-person staff, a $350,000 annual operating budget, and assets of $1.1 million. The Executive Director serves as the organization’s primary public face and reports to BIPF’s 13-member Board of Directors.
The ED’s priority roles include:
Strategic Leadership and Organizational Development
- Lead the organization’s Board and staff through annual and periodic strategic planning processes, mapping out near- and longer-term activities to achieve the organization’s goals
- Manage and lead BIPF’s staff, empowering them to perform the essential functions of their jobs, and provide guidance, coaching, and support
- Lead regularly scheduled Board and committee meetings and activities, setting priorities and implementing processes for sound and efficient deliberation and decision-making
- Develop and maintain positive, collaborative, and effective working relationships with partners at the Park District, the City and other project stakeholders in the community.
- Represent the organization at internal and external meetings and events to inspire support for BIPF’s mission and provide a consistent public presence for the organization
Fundraising and Donor Relations
- Work with the Board of Directors and the Development and Marketing Director to lead an ongoing program of fundraising to cover the organization’s operating costs and the costs of specific projects.
- Develop, build and strengthen positive, collaborative, and effective working relationships with major donors, key stakeholders, granting agencies and other community partners
- Work with staff to develop and implement an annual grants program
Administrative and Financial Management
- Ensure the smooth day-to-day functioning of the organization; maintain BIPF’s overall fiscal integrity and management systems
- Work with the Board Treasurer and Executive Committee to prepare annual budget and monthly financial statements
- Manage operations within the approved budget, utilizing sound fiscal practices and complying with all regulations
- Work with the Board Treasurer, Finance Committee, bookkeeper, accountant, and staff on financial reconciliation, tax preparation, legal compliance, and financial review
- Oversee administrative office systems and procedures, including supervision and management of consultants, contractors and volunteers
- Work with the Board of Directors and Executive Committee to oversee and implement BIPF policies, systems, and committee structures
- Observe bylaws and alert the Board when changes may be necessary
The ED’s additional priorities include:
Communications, Marketing and Outreach
- Collaborate with the Development and Marketing Director to oversee the planning and execution of marketing and outreach activities to build visibility and community relationships
- Oversee the preparation of written communications including content for e-newsletters, fundraising, donor communications, press releases, and social media
Projects and Programs
- Collaborate with the Projects Director to plan, track and assess an array of parks and trails programs and projects, in all phases of planning, fundraising and construction.
- Collaborate with the Projects Director to represent BIPF in trail and park-related advocacy activities
The successful candidate must possess the following qualifications:
- A passion for BIPF’s mission to enhance Bainbridge Island’s parks and trails
- Proven track record in fundraising, including securing major gifts
- Experience as an Executive Director, Director of Development, or other leadership role in a nonprofit or equivalent organization, including staff supervision
- Experience with long range and/or strategic planning for non-profit organizations
- Self-directed strategic thinker
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking
- Excellent relationship, consensus building and collaboration skills with diverse stakeholder groups
- Demonstrated ability to manage an organization and to be an effective leader and team player
Compensation: Salaried full-time position, with compensation commensurate with experience and expertise. Paid time-off and other benefits to be discussed with final candidates.
Apply: Send a resume with cover letter to [email protected]. Include the subject line: “Executive Director” in your email submission. Applications will be accepted through January 22, 2021. The cover letter should explain how your career experience will benefit BIPF and help you to transition into this position.